This week’s questions were provided by Lynn and you can tell by the questions that the story is seriously heating up. 😉
1) The election competition. Sabetha isn’t wasting any time throwing pranks at Locke and Jean. Mostly it seemed fairly harmless, or at least not overly serious, until they were kidnapped and put onto a ship and taken out to sea. What did you make of Sabetha’s latest plan? And what did you think about the way she executed it?
She seems to be approaching the competition much more seriously than the guys. At least, as the guys were before they were kidnapped. I think they are going to approach this better now and retaliate in an ingenious (or at least I hope so) way.
2) During the escape overboard and Jean’s rather subtle nose dive into the water – I was curious about the lights Locke saw deep in the water when he was performing his rescue – Locke thought they looked different once he was under the waves which I suppose they would but he also had the feeling that he was being watched? Do you think this relates back to the Eldren or some other presence?
I certainly hope so! 🙂 There’s never enough Eldren references/information if you ask me. 😉
3) Given that Locke hadn’t seen Sabetha for five years how did you think their first meeting together went (well, it wasn’t strictly speaking their first meeting of course – were you surprised that Jean and Locke hadn’t figured out that the woman pickpocket was Sabetha?) and also what did you make of Jean and Sabetha’s reaction to each other?
Yes and no. They did figure it out in the end, didn’t they? I just can’t help but get frustrated that Locke keeps thinking that his feelings for her should be taken into account when she approaches a job that entangles Locke as well. I don’t think he understands Sabetha well – we don’t either, and I wonder if by the end of the book we might get some more information on her. I can tell we’re missing some important bits on her life.
4) So, the gang have arrived in Espara and already the plans have gone wrong through no fault of their own! Jail for a year plus lose a hand for slapping a noble?? What do you think of the justice system in Espara and how does this bode for the gang?
Should it be called “justice” system?! 🙂
5) The acting company are finally coming together and we’re watching the gang as they try to read, act and grab the best parts – are you all ‘happy face’ with the whole theater scenes or, sad face! Also, I can’t help feeling like this whole story-line is a step out of character for the gang. Any ideas of how it will play out??
I’m glad they are trying to get good parts in the play and it seems not all of them are such good actors! 🙂 Didn’t see that coming!
I have no idea how will it play out, I admit I didn’t think they would be able to free the leader of the troupe. Yes, yes, I know, I shouldn’t doubt them but I did. So it’s obvious my guesses are not exactly realistic. 🙂
6) We are also being introduced to a number of new characters, particularly Moncraine and Boulidazi. What are your first impressions of these two and the other new characters in the Company and any particular likes or dislikes so far?
Actually, I’m not giving them much thought. I just see them as additional characters for the story-line Mr. Lynch needs. 🙂 And for giving flair to the “stale” theater world of Espara. 😉
7) The rooftop scene and the apology. How did it all go so wrong? And how will Locke get out of this latest fix with Boulidazi?
He, he, he, it went so wrong because Locke still hasn’t learned to listen well. 😉 At least, that’s how I saw it.
As for Boulidazi, first thing that crossed my mind is that they might play it as an incestuous thing. But since that’s what occurred to me, I’m pretty sure it will be something completely different. But get himself out of it, Locke certainly will. 😉 (I sound like Yoda now)
Until next week’s reading adventure, enjoy other people’s thoughts: