Sylvaine Delacourte and Jan E. Vos in Zagreb

Yes, you read that right! 🙂

There was a great perfumista event today in Zagreb, organized by Juraj of the Bleauog.

I don’t want to sound dismissive of Juraj’s part of the event (but I know him and talked perfume with him before). He talked about perfume history and changes that happened in how perfumes used to smell and how they smell now but for me the highlight of the event was hearing Mr. Vos’ talk about how Puredistance came to life and how synchronicity has played an enormous role there (synchronicity being something many perfumistas believe in) and then Mme Delacourte, as the last guest/speaker.

Before that, we heard an interesting theory by Zoran Kurelić who argued that Luca Turin’sDSC_0348 Guide was a decisive moment in perfume history and changed, in a good way, the perception and ability of people to discuss perfume more easily and using a common ground. Whether you agree with what Luca thinks about a certain perfume or you don’t, The Guide is something all of us have read. (somehow Tanya’s name got forgotten in all that) 😉

Mr. Vos says for himself that he is a doer and someone who loves beauty. It was fun listening to him talk about how Puredistance came to life and how he built it with the idea of long term luxury however long it takes as they don’t advertise but they have certainly built a great relationship with bloggers.

Listening to Sylvaine Delacourte was definitely a treat. 🙂 It is obvious she loves what she does and does it with passion. She certainly made me wish I had a job at Guerlain. Somewhere where I could work close to her. 😉

Her favorite perfume is L’Heure Bleu and she’s been loyal to it all her life (well ever since she discovered it). Closely followed by Cuir Beluga which is a perfume she made with her preferences in mind.DSC_0349

My knowledge of the perfume world seems to be limited as I wasn’t aware of the fact that L’Art et Matiere line was her brainchild. And if I ever win the lottery, I’ll go see her for a bespoke perfume (which I’ll then have 2l of and my own private formula).

I loved how everyone today, while answering questions, said that they don’t believe in masculine or feminine definition of perfumes as they are meant to evoke emotion. So whatever works for you, is meant to be enjoyed.

Unfortunately, all my hopes were dashed in the end when I asked Mme Delacourte if there is a chance of Guerlinade ever getting re-released. You can guess the answer to that. 😉

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , ,

7 thoughts on “Sylvaine Delacourte and Jan E. Vos in Zagreb

1. Asali June 22, 2014 at 14:33 Reply

How exciting, Ines. I wish things like that happened here. How was the attendance?

• Ines June 23, 2014 at 09:43 Reply

I’d say there was around 50 people all together.
      There would probably have been more if it weren’t a long weekend here so many people were out of Zagreb.

2. Vanessa June 29, 2014 at 17:33 Reply

Oh, what a distinguished set of speakers – that would have been a great event to attend. I think that is probably a valid statement about The Guide, certainly in perfumista circles but doubtless some way beyond. And I love Sylvaine Delacourte’s dress, but then I would expect her to be exquisitely turned out! Always interesting to learn more about Guerlain. Mr Vos I have met informally – I don’t care for every single scent in the line, but I think he has created a really luxurious image for the PD brand.

• Ines June 30, 2014 at 10:04 Reply

Yes, the statement about The Guide made sense to me as well, especially after hearing all the arguments.
      Sylvaine’s dress, shoes and general look were fabulous. I’m jealous of her fitness level as she doesn’t strike me as anywhere near as young as her body would make you think…

And yes, I’m aware I’m perpetuating the bad practice of focusing on a woman’s body and look but I can’t help it as I was rather impressed by everything she said and did and the way she looks like.

3. Natalie July 1, 2014 at 04:25 Reply

This sounds wonderful! I was pleased to hear that M. Delacourte made Cuir Beluga with her own tastes in mind. I always think that if I were a perfumer, it would be hard for me not to make perfumes to satisfy some desire of my own for a certain kind of scent (not just my own taste, which of course would come into play always), so I liked hearing from a perfumer on that topic. And I like that she wears L’Heure Bleue almost exclusively.

• Ines July 1, 2014 at 08:40 Reply

You know, I thought the same thing. 🙂 It would be very difficult not to let your taste influence what you are doing.
      It seems that L’Heure Bleu was made with her in mind because other perfumers come to her and ask what is that she is wearing as it changes almost magically when she wears it (so people don’t recognize it instantly). Lucky woman. 🙂

• Natalie July 1, 2014 at 13:24 Reply

Lucky indeed! Wow!

I love hearing your thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s