It’s time for another round of fun with Locke and Jean! 🙂
As with the previous two, I’m again participating in the read along of Scott Lynch’s Gentleman Bastards series.
This week’s questions were provided by Dab of Darkness and without further ado, here they are with my answers.
1) We get to reminisce with several old friends in this section – Carlo, Galdo, Chains. How did you like this? Bitter sweet or happy dance?
It did start a bit bittersweet for me but that was soon replaced by happiness of getting to enjoy those “carefree” days again. Actually, I wasn’t even aware hoe much I missed them until those parts appeared in this book. I guess Mr. Lynch considered our shock and sadness at seeing them gone. And that it also proved as a good background for the whole Locke-Sabetha situation.
2) Finally, the infamous Sabetha makes a physical appearance, albeit in Locke’s reminisces. What are your impressions? How do you think the romance, if there is to be one, will play out?
Well, I actually got further along than designated for this week. My impressions in the beginning were that it seemed a bit too young to develop a burning love to last until Locke’s dying day (at least that’s what I gather from him it feels like). I don’t know how it will play out (I’d rather not guess and then be proven wrong) but I certainly hope Locke gets some happiness in his love life.
3) After trying absolutely everything to save Locke, Jean still won’t give up. What did you think of that little pep talk he gave Locke concerning Patience’s offer of healing?
Well, I know the story is centered about Locke more but Jean is to him what Hermione is to Harry Potter (I manage to put HP into everything). Jean is who has my vote of confidence to make it all happen for what Locke imagined. Because lets face it – Locke would be long dead without Jean while I don’t think the same is true for Jean.
Can I just say my thoughts at that part were – Hit him as well for being such a pain in the ass! (the book is making me swear, I swear!)
4) Locke has a few caveats to working for the Bondsmage. Wise or just Locke grasping for some control over his life? What would you ask Patience?
Wise. Definitely wise. There is no way there is not an underlying current to all this we’re not seeing. I mean, it was expected it would be the Bondsmagi who would save Locke but now they did, I hope they get put down to earth a bit.
I actually think Patience is one of the “good” guys – it seems someone is working to kill her as well (her son’s faction I’m guessing).
What would I ask her? Actually nothing comes to mind instantly – I just cannot grasp the magnitude of their capabilities.
5) At the end of this section, we see that all is not as Patience laid it out. How much do you think Patience knows of the plot to off Locke and Jean? Do you see it interfering in the rigged election?
I see it as part of the rigged election. Experience so far has shown that Mr. Lynch manages to make it all somehow come together and there might be signs along the way but until you reach the end, they are generally undecipherable. 🙂 That said, I think the two (elections and getting killed) go together. I don’t think Patience knows anything about the particular plot (as I believe it concerns her life as well). But I do think she might believe that could be a real scenario.
We’ll see what happens next…
Please check the following blogs for their take on the part I:
Dab of Darkness
The Little Red Reviewer
Over the Effing Rainbow
Just Book Reading
Many a True Nerd
Lynn’s Book Blog
Theft and Sorcery
Coffee, Cookies and Chili Peppers
Books Without Any Pictures
Tagged: Book, Book review, Locke, read-along, Republic of Thieves, Scott Lynch