Zagreb spice market

Is actually a little shop called Harissa in Masarykova street.

harissa

I’ve never been to a spice market so I really don’t know what the offer would be like there but I  know I was overwhelmed here.

You can pick up any of the jars containing spices and smell them. Everything is listed on the jar,

including one notice that actually warns against opening as it’s the second most hot spice in the world (of course I don’t know the name).

I felt like a kid in a chocolate store. 😀 I neither knew where to start reading (let alone smelling) and in the end I just skimmed through everything as the spices weren’t even the reason I was there.

They also have teas, sauces, salts, jars, etc. Well worth the visit if you’re in Zagreb.

harissa1

P.S. It turns out harissa is actually a spicy paste used in North African cuisine. Sounds just like the thing for me.

Advertisements

Tagged: , , ,

8 thoughts on “Zagreb spice market

1. Undina July 10, 2013 at 23:40 Reply

Several years ago I also visited a spice shop for the first time and I also was very impressed.

• Ines July 11, 2013 at 10:22 Reply

Great experiences, true. 🙂

2. Jordan River July 11, 2013 at 02:03 Reply

Hours of fun. Have you got a mortar and pestle at home?

• Ines July 11, 2013 at 10:22 Reply

Not yet. I need to find a reason to use it first… 🙂

3. laniersmith July 11, 2013 at 04:12 Reply

Now this sounds like olfactory heaven to me. What fun you must have had in Harissa!

• Ines July 11, 2013 at 10:23 Reply

Yes, it is. 🙂 The best thing is I usually prefer spicy perfumes so this really is like heaven for me.

4. Suzanne July 12, 2013 at 06:10 Reply

Yowza, a whole shop dedicated to spices. Why don’t they have these in my part of the world?

(Although when I think about it, I can’t complain: some of our ethnic grocery stores have a great selection of spices.)

Enjoy, Ines, and thanks for sharing your find.

• Ines July 12, 2013 at 12:06 Reply

Suzanne, really, there is no choice for you but to come to Zagreb. 😉

I’m happy that we are finally getting a wider share of pretty much everything but I still can’t find many things I’d like to have available here.

I love hearing your thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s