Hoarding

Sometimes the most unexpected things occur to me.
Although, I probably shouldn’t call them unexpected. It’s just the fact that they haven’t occurred before that makes them unexpected but then again, every idea anyone has could be called that. ๐Ÿ™‚

Basically, I realized I hoard my samples and decants.

Especially decants.
They are rather small to begin with (compared to bottles) and are either 5 or 10 ml of perfumes I like, and would like to know better (so I can review them).
But that same size makes them rather fleeting, when compared to bottles, so I’m scared of using them, in order not to use them up before I get the chance to write about them.
I realize it’s rather stupid, because if I wore them, I’d have a better chance of actually talking about them than now, when I’m hesitating of wearing them in order not to use all of what I have.

That is also why this winter I’ve been rotating 5 bottles I have in order not to spend any of the decants I have. Which I guess contributes to the winter blues I’m experiencing, but hopefully, now I’m aware of my perfume hoarding tendencies, I’ll be able to combat them with spraying decants with abandon. ๐Ÿ™‚
After all, they are a legion. ๐Ÿ™‚

Does this happen to anyone else?

Advertisements

18 thoughts on “Hoarding

1. Elisa February 17, 2012 at 00:52 Reply

I absolutely have a tendency to hoard decants! I hate finishing things — even samples, I always want to save just a little drop, unless I know it will be easy to come by more. But I'm running out of storage room for decants and samples so I'm trying to get over this.

2. Vanessa February 17, 2012 at 00:53 Reply

I can relate to this with certain of my smaller decants, definitely – say the ones with 3-5ml in them. I don't use a lot of them because I am afraid of them running out. However, why I also ignore the bigger ones ranging from 8ml – 30ml I can't explain, as I am not realistically going to run out of them any time soon. I routinely take out my boxes of bigger decants, pulling out half a dozen or ten of them at a time to remind myself of what I have, before sticking them straight back in the box again. You may have put your finger on something quite odd there…

3. ChickenFreak February 17, 2012 at 04:45 Reply

I only seem to hoard the last wearing or two – before that, I'll happily use a decant/sample if it's handy.But the "if it's handy" is the difficulty. All of my samples are currently in two nice little cardboard storage boxes, so I have to get a box down and dig through a drift of little plastic envelopes to find one. It occurs to me that I should take out a random five or ten and put them in a shot glass among the full-size bottles. Maybe I'd use them then.

4. Olfactoria's Travels February 17, 2012 at 11:25 Reply

That is why I don't particularly like decants, I don't use them for fear of not having enough… I can totally relate. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Ines February 17, 2012 at 12:09 Reply

Elisa, exactly!I hate not having a little left for future comparing purposes and like you, I'm running out of space (since a lot of goes to my books). ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Ines February 17, 2012 at 12:11 Reply

He, he, Vanessa, I tend to ignore my larger decants too. I'm guessing it's the same reason, they are just not as big as a bottle. I'm planning on taking out several decants at a time, and placing them in front of everything so I'd wear them and get to know them better (they are all decants of stuff I like so why not?).

7. Ines February 17, 2012 at 12:13 Reply

ChickenFreak, my decants are relatively handy, in a large open box where I can take them out. But the problem is it's a large box and I need to pull each one out in order to see what's in it and then I usually can't find the one I'm looking for. :)So, that's why I'll rotate 5-10 in front of everything.

8. Ines February 17, 2012 at 12:15 Reply

Olfactoria, I find decants both more economical and practical as I would never ever use up bottles of every perfume I like if I owned them. But now it seems I like them enough not to want to use up my decants. :)I'll work on my hoarding tendencies…

9. Olfacta February 17, 2012 at 14:48 Reply

For those in the US, Container Store (maybe there's a European equivalent?) sells a lipstick holder, a clear lucite step-down with around 20 compartments. It's perfect for the 5 ml decants. They also sell one with bigger compartments which is perfect for the larger ones. It's pictured in the blog entry I wrote Feb. 7. I find that I'm using my decants more this way than I did when they were in a box.

10. Ines February 17, 2012 at 14:54 Reply

Olfacta, I just went to check the pic on your blog and that would certainly make it easier to see what decant contains what (and be handy).Thank you for the suggestion! :)I just have to find now the place that sells these – we don't have an exact container store but I'm guessing it could be found someplace else.

11. Juraj February 17, 2012 at 20:38 Reply

Maitre et Gantier. Ja patim za Pafum d'Habit. koji je tvoj najdrazi?Juraj

12. Undina February 18, 2012 at 04:40 Reply

It's interesting! I need to investigate more – since I have the field in the database where I track the type of the container (FB, travel bottle, large decant, etc.). Probably I can do it for my monthly Stats post – thank you for the idea! ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Ines February 18, 2012 at 13:20 Reply

Juraj, nisam to probala, ali M et G su linija koja mi se ฤini izrazito zanimljivom.Za kojim patim? Teลกko pitanje. :)Vjerojatno za vintage verzijama Vent Vert, Chanel 19 i Shalimara.

14. Ines February 18, 2012 at 13:21 Reply

Undina, I would love to see you track this. ๐Ÿ™‚ I wonder what we'll be able to glean from your statistics.

15. Natalie February 19, 2012 at 06:25 Reply

Interesting question! For me, I think I'm more likely to hoard smaller amounts of perfumes I really like, rather than it specifically being related to samples or decants. The number of perfumes I feel I am hoarding is pretty small in general. So why do I have so many, I wonder? ๐Ÿ™‚

16. Ines February 19, 2012 at 12:25 Reply

He, he Natalie, I wonder too. :)I must say, I did what I said I would and yesterday took in front decants I am now going to wear and test. Now, to see how successful I'll be with that…

17. Christi Meshell House of Matriarch February 25, 2012 at 14:21 Reply

i do this too! sounds like we are all alike here!

18. Ines February 26, 2012 at 12:52 Reply

He, he Christi, it does sound like once you fall down the perfume rabbit hole, perfume hoarding becomes standard practice. ;)I can't help it – there is so much to smell and love…

I love hearing your thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s