Yes, I skipped number 2. Sorry.
I’ll go on with answering this week’s questions, provided by Andres, The Little Red Reviewer.
1. T’vril takes Yeine to the servant’s party. What did you think of that party, and of Sieh’s part in it?
I loved the fact that the servants have their hidden pleasures that are completely off limits to the inner family. I also think it’s Sieh’s way of letting his nature out, getting back at the inner family through parties for those they consider lesser.
2. Yeine presents herself as such a nice, compassionate person. Did your feelings about her change after the meeting she and Nahadoth had with Gemd?
No. She’s a leader and even though she didn’t expect what happened, she knew she had to go with it. I think her now a strong person as well.
3. On page 230 we learn about the Darre concept of “esui”, of attraction to danger. Have you ever experienced Esui? did it help you, or hurt you? Do you think it will help Yeine, or hurt her?
I loved that! We need a word for that! That is definitely a concept that exists. I experienced it and it didn’t help me but it give me pleasure at the time it was happening and it did make me learn about myself. I think the same might happen to Yeine as well.
4. What did you think of the reveal regarding Ygreth’s (Kinneth’s mother) death? Was it something you expected? How does being forced to do something like that (or knowing you’ll be forced to) shape a person?
I didn’t see that coming at all. It does show though that Anameri think more of personal success than of the people they love because they obviously come second to it. I’m not sure how does that shape a person, as I’m having a hard time generally understanding the Anameri.
5. If I’m reading it correctly, the ceremony can require a human sacrifice (to show that the heir is strong enough to kill anyone, if asked). Who might Scimina sacrifice? Who might Yeine sacrifice?
If I’m reading it correctly, the ceremony does require a human sacrifice as it’s not possible to survive handling the stone and without the ceremony can’t take place.
Hmm, that’s a good question. Scimina does not strike me as someone who actually has someone she loves that she could sacrifice. Can she sacrifice her looks? A part of her? I don’t think anything else comes close to her heart.
As for Yeine, I don’t think she’ll be sacrificing anything but if she ends up having to, T’Vril or her grandmother come to mind.
6.The ball is only a few days away. What do you think will happen?
This reminds me of the Lynch read-along. I have no idea what will happen. But if Yeine is the sacrifice, I think she might survive it. And that might be the cause of why she’s trying so hard not to lose herself and her memories.